Last year, the Wallingford Community Council (WCC) joined the Seattle Coalition for Affordability, Livability & Equity (SCALE) in filing an Appeal of the MHA Final EIS. The City’s “Grand Bargain” fails at increasing affordable housing, accelerates displacement of residents, and does nothing for livability.
This city-wide volunteer coalition of community organizations has raised $200,000 to pay legal expenses, and has put in many hours doing research and preparation work to keep costs down.
The Hearing Examiner’s ruling is expected in early November. As the end of the Appeal process nears, it is important to continue funding this effort. Please help SCALE raise an additional $20,000 to cover legal summary briefs and counter briefs for final arguments.
Please donate, and ask your friends to do the same!
Seattle Fair Growth Appeal
2442 NW Market Street, Box 487
Seattle, WA 98107
(Pay to the Order of: “Seattle Fair Growth”; Memo: SCALE member group you support, or your neighborhood.)
Seattle Coalition for Affordability, Livability & Equity Accomplishments
Dedicated volunteers from 29 neighborhoods and organizations, working with a legal team of 2 paid and 6 volunteer attorneys, have:
- Appealed the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) for the City’s proposed Mandatory Housing Affordability (MHA) ordinance, documenting MHA’s acceleration of displacement, contempt for neighborhood planning, devaluing of historic resources, and indifference to impacts on trees, open space, and land use.
- Met weekly since November 2017.
- Reviewed over 100,000 City documents.
- Presented SCALE’s legal case during 18 full days of Hearings.
- Engaged 6 Expert Witnesses.
- Wrote an Opinion Editorial published by the Seattle Times.
- Testified in multiple Seattle City Council meetings.
- Strengthened community connections across Seattle.