The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) is planning major lane configuration changes when paving N/NE 40th Street, N/NE 50th Street, Green Lake Way N, E Green Lake Way N, E Green Lake Drive N, and Green Lake Drive N in 2019. This would provide new Protected Bicycle Lane facilities.
The Green Lake and Wallingford Paving & Multi-Modal Improvements project team is holding meetings for the public to learn more about the project and to provide feedback. Kids’ activities and light refreshments are provided:
Saturday July 21 from 12:00 – 2:00 PM
Good Shepherd Center, 4649 Sunnyside Ave N, Lower Level
Tuesday July 24 from 5:00 – 7:00 PM
Saturday July 28 from 12:00 – 2:00 PM
Green Lake Library, 7364 E Green Lake Dr N
Concerns for residents, small businesses, cyclists, and pedestrians are:
- Removal of all street parking on N/NE 40th Street from Wallingford Ave N to 7th Ave NE.
- Removal of one side of street parking on N/NE 40th Street from Stone Way N to Wallingford Ave N, on Stone Way N from N 45th Street to N 50th Street, and on Green Lake Way N from N 50th Street to N 52nd Street.
- Safe transtition of bicycle traffic from a two-way Protected Bicycle Lane to two one-way Protected Bicycle Lanes at Green Lake Way N and N 52nd Street.
- More cut-through traffic on residential streets due to congestion from new signals at Green Lake Way N and W Green Lake Way N (Pitch & Putt), and at Green Lake Way N and N 52nd Street.
- No traffic improvements to the low-performance intersection of Stone Way N, N 50th Street, and Green Lake Way N.
- Lulling casual cyclists into false sense of safety with an uphill Protected Bicycle Lane on N/NE 40th Street which transforms into high-speed sharrows in traffic on the downhill sections.